Sweet and healthy Maple Pear Muffins makes a great low calorie breakfast idea if you need something quick. It also makes a satisfying, low fat snack when you are craving something sweet.
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup quick oats
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup non-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce or pureed pears
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non-fat cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, mix the pears, oats, sugar, buttermilk, maple syrup, applesauce (or pear puree), oil and egg substitute. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Mix the wet mixture into the flour mixture and stir until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pan cups. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Place muffins on a wire rack to cool.
Entire Maple Pear Muffins recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is 1 muffin
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 175 calories; 2g fat; 38g carbohydrates; 5g protein; 4g fiber