4 bunches spinach (Palak)
2 tablespoons butter
paneer cheese (made from 1 litre milk)
2 medium onions
1 1/2 tablespoons red chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons dhaniya powder (corriander powder)
1/2 teaspoon jeera powder (powdered cumin seeds)
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
1/2 cup curds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Cut the paneer cheese into cubes and set aside.
2. Wash and finely chop the spinach.
3. Cut the onions into small pieces.
4. Cut the tomatoes into 2 inch cubes.
5. Heat a little butter and fry the spinach until it shrinks.
6. Allow the spinach to cool and grind to a smooth paste.
7. Grind the poppy seeds and cashews together to a smooth paste.
8. Fry all the spices in a little ghee butter and then powder.
9. Heat the rest of the butter with a little oil and fry the onions until golden and crisp.
10. Add the chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and tomatoes.
11. Stir for about one minute, then add the whipped curds.
12. Cook on reduced heat until the oil floats on top.
13. Add sugar, salt, turmeric powder and the ground spinach leaves, and cook for a few minutes.
14. Mix the cashew-poppy paste and pour just enough water required for the gravy.
15. Cook on medium heat until the gravy becomes thick.
16. Add the paneer cheese pieces.
17. Remove from the heat.
18. Sprinkle some garam masala powder and serve hot with finely cut onions and lime.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Spinach Paneer calories: 199
Total fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 17.1 mg
Sodium: 395.4 mg
Total carbs: 24.1 g
Fiber: 10.2 g
Protein: 13.2 g
Weight Watchers points: 4