1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
1 cup low-fat milk
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the milk; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat the egg and sugar together until thick and pale.
3. Sift the flour, cream of tartar, cocoa and salt together.
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the beaten egg mixture, alternating with adding the milk/baking soda mixture.
5. Fold in the melted butter just until combined.
6. Heat a greased frying pan and cook 1-2 tablespoonfuls of the pikelet batter until bubbles appear on the surface.
7. Flip the pikelets to cook on the other side for 1 about minute (or until golden brown).
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 16
Total fat: 1.8g
Total carbs: 12.9g