- 2 pounds flat, lean, first-cut brisket, trimmed
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ¼ cups white wine
- 3 cups fat free beef broth
- 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cored
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously spray a large Dutch oven with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.
- Add brisket and cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a large plate and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to the pot; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in thyme, rosemary, paprika, salt, pepper and bay leaves, then add in the wine. Bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth and return the brisket to the pot along with any accumulated juices. Bring to a simmer. Cover, place in the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Cut carrots, parsnips and rutabaga into bite sized pieces.
- Transfer brisket to a plate. Using a slotted spoon, remove and discard bay leaves.
- Stir mustard into the sauce. Add the carrots, parsnips and rutabaga. Return the brisket to the pot; cover and bake for 1 hour more.
- Once the vegetables are tender, transfer to a platter, cover with foil and set aside.
- If necessary, continue to cook, testing for doneness every 20 minutes. Total cooking time for the brisket may range from 2 1/2 to 5 hours, depending on the particular piece of meat.
- Skim fat from the sauce. Place the pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, to reduce and intensify flavors. Dissolve cornstarch in 1 tablespoon water (or cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water); add to the simmering sauce and cook, stirring constantly, just until thickened, about 10 seconds.
- Slice the brisket into 8 equally sized slices and arrange slices on platter and mound the vegetables around the brisket.
- Spoon the sauce over the meat and vegetables. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 3 ounces meat, 1 cup vegetables, 1/4 cup sauce
Each serving = 8 Points +
PER SERVING: 305 calories; 8g fat; 20g carbohydrates; 41g protein; 5g fiber